Do you bother putting extra air in the tires for the occasional 2-up? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Do you bother putting extra air in the tires for the occasional 2-up?

knowledge

Site Supporter
Like the question said: Do you bother putting extra air in the tires for the occasional 2-up? Or is it sort of overkill?

If it's really that good of an idea, to put extra air to compensate for added weight, I'd actually rather just not take chicks for a ride (lol).

I haven't been doing it, but I just realized that it should probably be a safety concern. I should also note that I ride like a granny with a passenger and never go past a 30% lean.

Your bike should have specs for your tires. Some bikes have 2 specs, for solo and for 2-up. If your bike doesn't have specs for 2-up, don't inflate over the max pressure on your tires.

BTW the tire pressure that the manufacturer recommends and the max tire pressure on the side of the tire are two different things. Follow the former.

I do change my tire pressure.

Usually I run 32f 36r when I am by myself.
2-up I run 36f, 38-40psi rear.

It really makes a big difference and makes handling so much better. When I am with the girlfriend the bike pretty much accelerates almost as hard as me alone with the increased tire pressure. It makes the bike more nimble and slow speed maneuvering is much better. Best of all, makes the bike not feel like its bogged down or dragging as you let the rear suspension soak up the bump.

I also increase the preload by one turn. All those things together and the bike feels almost as responsive as me riding alone. It helps too when your passenger is a good rider and gives you your space and looks through the turns with you etc.

I definitely do it, but it's so infrequent that it's not that much of a hassle. The Mrs. still needs to get comfy with the first wife (the Fizzer)

If taking a Pillion, some bikes have suggested Suspension settings that are suggested to be used

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom