Construction | GTAMotorcycle.com

Construction

Who works with a construction company? I'm looking for an apprenticeship in the trades field. Any leads would be great! :D

Heavy equipment or crane operator are good trades. Too become a crane operator, requires a licence, so a apprentiship is a must. The best place to get a crane licence is from the Operating Engineers Local 793. Look them up, they have a great training facility in Oakville. You can call 905-469-9299 and ask for training dept. and they will answer any questions you may have.

That's actually not bad. Pretty cool maneuvering those badass machines. Haha

Thanks

If you're a fan of getting up at 5am to freeze your n**ts off for the day all winter as a carpenter, try http://www.carpenterstraining.ca/
The apprenticeship is relatively long at 4 years, but a journeyman makes $30+/ hr. That translates to over $70k an year.
If you call, ask for Andrew Neville, he's one of the best instructors at the union (and that's not just because he apprenticed under me for a few years!) and if you're any good, he'll get you the best placement.
Good luck

Tonto

Heavy equipment or crane operator are good trades. Too become a crane operator, requires a licence, so a apprentiship is a must. The best place to get a crane licence is from the Operating Engineers Local 793. Look them up, they have a great training facility in Oakville. You can call 905-469-9299 and ask for training dept. and they will answer any questions you may have.

You need your AZ to apply, as you generally start on a mobile crane. That is directly from the training dept.

If you're a fan of getting up at 5am to freeze your n**ts off for the day all winter as a carpenter, try http://www.carpenterstraining.ca/
The apprenticeship is relatively long at 4 years, but a journeyman makes $30+/ hr. That translates to over $70k an year.
If you call, ask for Andrew Neville, he's one of the best instructors at the union (and that's not just because he apprenticed under me for a few years!) and if you're any good, he'll get you the best placement.
Good luck

Tonto

Thanks. I actually applied for an apprenticeship online on that website but I didn't get a reply back. Would it be better if I just call? And as I don't have any actual related WORK experience (resume worthy), would it matter? I have a lot of passion for it and this is what I want to do with my life.

Thanks. I actually applied for an apprenticeship online on that website but I didn't get a reply back. Would it be better if I just call? And as I don't have any actual related WORK experience (resume worthy), would it matter? I have a lot of passion for it and this is what I want to do with my life.

Check your PM's for a fast-track to the right people. Hope it helps.

Tonto

you could also try local 183 theres sum training centers all around the a laborours union but the also have 183 carpenters and other stuff you could do there brick laying, roads, sewer water main alot of stuff you should check them out

You need your AZ to apply, as you generally start on a mobile crane. That is directly from the training dept.
Yes, your right. An AZ licence is required for the mobile crane but nothing else. You can start on a tower crane or an excavator like I did.

Yes, your right. An AZ licence is required for the mobile crane but nothing else. You can start on a tower crane or an excavator like I did.

Can I get my AZ license from any Drive Test center? Or do I have to get it done at a special school kinda thing?

How much do tower cranes/excavator operators start at?

Don't forget the elevator union whatever they are.

But if you need to start right now you want to call Local 488 Alberta Plumbers, Pipe fitters and Welders. They are always having an intake. Welders only have a 3yr and its a ticket to print money! Trust me.

Can I get my AZ license from any Drive Test center? Or do I have to get it done at a special school kinda thing?

How much do tower cranes/excavator operators start at?
There is a 3000 hour apprenticeship and how it works is on a percentage. 50% of the top rate for the first 1000 hours, 65% for 1 - 2000 hours, then 80% for the last 1000 hours. The top rate now is $37.48 plus 12% vacation pay, then all your pension and benefits which the company pays on your behalf for a grand total of $50.78 total package per hour. Also, any overtime is double the total package. I'vs seen most apprentices get their licences in about 1 1/2 - 2 years. I know a few your operators under the age of 25 and making over $80 grand. Because of the short suppy of operators, a good operator can make $120 +++ a year. Some companies pay big insentives to keep you. These numbers are for tower crane operators.
Excavator operators are a little less, $30 - $35 an hour and only 10% vacation pay for a total package of around $44 -$49 an hour. there is no offical apperntice program so you can possibly jump right into the top rate depending on how good you are. And same applies, short suppy means big insentives.
If you never driven a tractor trailer before, I do recommend a truck driving school. Tower crane and excavator operators do not require a AZ licence. It is good to have, companies see that as a bonus skill.

Last edited:
Hi VinSter.. Do you know name of the local union for the GTA for either of these trades?

thanks

There is a 3000 hour apprenticeship and how it works is on a percentage. 50% of the top rate for the first 1000 hours, 65% for 1 - 2000 hours, then 80% for the last 1000 hours. The top rate now is $37.48 plus 12% vacation pay, then all your pension and benefits which the company pays on your behalf for a grand total of $50.78 total package per hour. Also, any overtime is double the total package. I'vs seen most apprentices get their licences in about 1 1/2 - 2 years. I know a few your operators under the age of 25 and making over $80 grand. Because of the short suppy of operators, a good operator can make $120 +++ a year. Some companies pay big insentives to keep you. These numbers are for tower crane operators.
Excavator operators are a little less, $30 - $35 an hour and only 10% vacation pay for a total package of around $44 -$49 an hour. there is no offical apperntice program so you can possibly jump right into the top rate depending on how good you are. And same applies, short suppy means big insentives.
If you never driven a tractor trailer before, I do recommend a truck driving school. Tower crane and excavator operators do not require a AZ licence. It is good to have, companies see that as a bonus skill.

If you're a dummy like me you could always become a union tinknocker like me. I won't trot out the "package" but it's not bad for a lunkhead.:)

If you're a dummy like me you could always become a union tinknocker like me. I won't trot out the "package" but it's not bad for a lunkhead.:)

your hands probably get shredded. hate duct work.

your hands probably get shredded. hate duct work.
Don't kid yourself- tinknockers make good money. Just remember though, no one is giving money away- tradesmen and women earn every dollar we make.

Tonto

But if you need to start right now you want to call Local 488 Alberta Plumbers, Pipe fitters and Welders. They are always having an intake. Welders only have a 3yr and its a ticket to print money! Trust me.

It's really funny when people say that, I am a certified welder fitter, ARC,MIG and TIG and after $8.460.00 and the 7 months course at ITT- Institute of Technical Trades, (which in my opnion is one of the best one to get a career fast), it's not that easy as people think to start working in the pipeline area.
To work as a pipe line welder you need red seal to start working in Alberta for example.
If you wanna make money as a welder,go for the underwater welder (I've heard that the life of a underwater welder is pretty short)but damn they make a lot of money.
Good luck with the red seal if you decide to go for it http://www.red-seal.ca/c.4nt.2nt@-eng.jsp?cid=29.

Both pieces of equipment belong to the same union :
International Union Of Operating Engineers Local 793
www.iuoelocal793.org
(905)-469-9299 or Toll free @ (877)793-4863

Thats why I mention UA 488 Alberta for welding apprenticeship. 3 years and a red seal boom that just happened! You can use a computer look it up google 488.

Back
Top Bottom