Complete Yamaha CP3 (Tracer, FJ-09, MT-09, XSR 900) Rear Tire Change Video | GTAMotorcycle.com

Complete Yamaha CP3 (Tracer, FJ-09, MT-09, XSR 900) Rear Tire Change Video

adri

Site Supporter
I think I may have finally gotten good enough at changing tires to make a video showing others how to do it... or maybe not, we'll see :rolleyes:

So here's my how to change a Yamaha Tracer rear tire video, which includes:

1) How to remove wheel from motorcycle
2) How to remove old tire from wheel (with a Rabaconda)
3) How to mount new tire (also with a Rabaconda)
4) How to balance new tire/wheel
5) How to put everything back together (and hopefully have no leftover pieces)

Adri did good? Adri did bad? Find out! (and then let me know! :LOL:)

PS: Ffor people who hate video, I did a written step-by-step guide here.

Last edited:
That was very good. Good voice and not repetitive. Okay the subscribe button was too much. Music was perfect too!
Curious about balancing without the sprocket.

Nice video.
I would loose the flashing lines at the start of the video.
Distracting to the eye.
1721689313675.png

That was very good. Good voice and not repetitive. Okay the subscribe button was too much. Music was perfect too!
Curious about balancing without the sprocket.
Thanks!

Re: Subscribe button - noted. Though I did notice better converting people to subscribers when I did start putting it in my videos. Unfortunately it's a bit of a "necessary evil" I guess.

Re: Balancing without the sprocket - It seems like every forum I searched on has a different opinion on whether or not to leave it in or take it out for balancing. Model Y forum said do it one way, Model Z forum says do it the other, etc.

For peace of mind I just called up a shop I'm friendly with, asked them what they do, and figured, good enough for me!

Good video! The Rabaconda seems like a decent way to do this!

Thanks Brian! I tried with spoons a while back, but I was either too uncoordinated or too stupid (or both?) to make them work. I sent them back and ordered a Rabaconda.

When I bought it, I math'd that if I started doing tire changes myself, rather than continue bringing my bike to Ted, I would break even on the Rabaconda after 11 tire changes. I've done 5 tires since then, so almost halfway, and no regrets!

There are other benefits too:

Riding to a shop, waiting my turn, waiting for the work to be done, riding back home, that all probably takes a lot more time than just doing the job myself, so I save time.

I also get to do the job on my own schedule. I don't have to miss work to go during office hours, or head over to the shop during rush hour, or ride in bad weather. It could be a rainy day, peak traffic time, or midnight long after all the shops are closed, I can just do the work myself. That's a nice perk.

There are a few downsides to the Rabaconda though but they're not too bad:

1) Unfortunately Rabaconda has raised the price a bit since I bought it... but then again, maybe shop rates on tire changes have gone up too? I don't know and neither effect me so, whatever...

2) I've had to pay extra for two different adapters that I need to make this work on some of my motorcycles. One is basically for bikes with single sided swing arms (like fancy Ducatis or in my case, a little Vespa). The other is for my BMW G650GS and my Talaria electric mountain bike which both need a thinner axle.

It kind of sucks to have to buy these as extras, but is the glass empty or half full? Is it ****** that I have to buy extra stuff to make it work with all of my weird bikes, or is it great that I have one product that I can buy the parts I need to make it work with all of my weird bikes? Matter of perspective... Apparently the new Rabaconda's ships with the thinner axle part now, and that's part of why they increased the price, so I guess they're trying to cover more bikes from the get-go now.

3) I've done a half dozen tire changes on it, but I don't use it often enough that it's entirely intuitive just yet. I still need to refer to the instructions every now and then because small things (like duckhead or ratchet position) make a difference.

Overall, it's not a perfect system, but it does do the job well, makes it fairly easy, saves me time, and it'll start saving me money too... (one day)

Nice video.
I would loose the flashing lines at the start of the video.
Distracting to the eye.
View attachment 68912
I'll try that in the next one. Still switching things up and trying to find a format that both keeps a youtube audience's (often fickle) attention, but at the same keeps things moving forward smoothly. It's tricky to find the sweet spot. Thanks for the feedback.

I kinda liked the flashing lines. Maybe it's just me and an acquired taste for a little cheesiness

I will say you got me to go and look up how much a Rabaconda costs again. It looked handy

I kinda liked the flashing lines. Maybe it's just me and an acquired taste for a little cheesiness

I will say you got me to go and look up how much a Rabaconda costs again. It looked handy
Not that its the same but <blink>BLINKING HTML</blink> code was once voted at the most annoying on a website and is no longer supported.

Great video Adrian. I shared it to the North American Tracer GT FB group I started.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

an acquired taste for a little cheesiness

I was told cheesiness is part of my charm once by a girl once... Still not sure if it was meant as compliment or not.

Not that its the same but <blink>BLINKING HTML</blink> code was once voted at the most annoying on a website and is no longer supported.

That's the **** I grew up on... We're bringing it back! :LOL:

Great video Adrian. I shared it to the North American Tracer GT FB group I started.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Thank you! I requested to join your group. It prompted me to answer some questions to be able to join.

One of them asked me if I have, quote, "An inferior product like a BMW?" and I was like "Damn!

How'd you know?!"

That is a lot of tire changes already. Are they all your bikes or are you doing some tire changes for friends? What upcoming videos are you working on?

That is a lot of tire changes already. Are they all your bikes or are you doing some tire changes for friends? What upcoming videos are you working on?
All mine, but mostly because of situations like this FJ where I bought a bike with very bad tires that needed immediate changing.

Upcoming videos... I've been doing an on-going series comparing my Triumph Bonneville 865 vs Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 vs Moto Guzzi V7 750. Each bike has a max budget of $3,250 US ($5k CAD) and the idea is to try to determine what the best mid-size retro motorcycle is for someone on a budget. My next video will be the end of that series where I announce the winner / the one I'm keeping.

After that, my next series will be about a 25 day motorcycle trip I did across Italy. It's something I promised my dad I would do when I was 20, right before he got sick and passed away a few years later. I did part of the trip with the missus, part solo... So the series should be part motorcycle riding, part travel, and maybe part personal story...

I wish I could say there's some big overarching content strategy, but, there isn't... I just do what I feel like that week and hope it helps some people out 🤷‍♂️

I was told cheesiness is part of my charm once by a girl once... Still not sure if it was meant as compliment or not.

That's the **** I grew up on... We're bringing it back! :LOL:

Thank you! I requested to join your group. It prompted me to answer some questions to be able to join.

One of them asked me if I have, quote, "An inferior product like a BMW?" and I was like "Damn!

How'd you know?!"

Yep. That was my question ;)

Super glad to have you on board!

All mine, but mostly because of situations like this FJ where I bought a bike with very bad tires that needed immediate changing.

Upcoming videos... I've been doing an on-going series comparing my Triumph Bonneville 865 vs Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 vs Moto Guzzi V7 750. Each bike has a max budget of $3,250 US ($5k CAD) and the idea is to try to determine what the best mid-size retro motorcycle is for someone on a budget. My next video will be the end of that series where I announce the winner / the one I'm keeping.

After that, my next series will be about a 25 day motorcycle trip I did across Italy. It's something I promised my dad I would do when I was 20, right before he got sick and passed away a few years later. I did part of the trip with the missus, part solo... So the series should be part motorcycle riding, part travel, and maybe part personal story...

I wish I could say there's some big overarching content strategy, but, there isn't... I just do what I feel like that week and hope it helps some people out 🤷‍♂️
Looking forward to them, please post up here when you do. Glad you kept your word to your Dad.

Subscribed!
Looking forward to it!

Back
Top Bottom