Canada Day Ride - Sunrise to Sunset | GTAMotorcycle.com

Canada Day Ride - Sunrise to Sunset

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
Been a while since I posted up a ride and curious what I'm capable of...
Since the summer solstice was way to hot to head out this year, I'm going to try that route on Canada Day. A buddy was going to join me, but an unexpected emergency just came up, so posting this here if anyone is up for it.

It looks to be a beautiful day with the forecast calling for 24deg and pure sun. Should be perfect for a sunrise to sunset ride with lots of beautiful twisty backroads and little traffic. No gravel intended - just paved roads. If you have ridden with me before - same sort of thing, but longer:)

Experienced riders only, since it will be a lot of twisty roads at a good pace.
If I end up finishing the whole thing, it will be about 1500km, round trip from Mississauga.

Pace: I'll keep it responsible in the straights, respectful in the smaller towns and a fun in the corners. No hooligan or stupid stuff.
Fuel: Gas stops roughly every 200km with short breaks every 2 hours or so.
Food: Packing snacks & lunch with breaks at nice scenic spots.
Depart: Mississauga @ 5:15am (have to start this early to stand a chance of doing the whole route...)
Return: I have to be back home to Mississauga by 10pm latest - if we are running behind, then I'll just remove some roads to make time. If I'm feeling tired or spent, then I have no problem cutting it short.

Meetups: Open to meet up anywhere between Misissauga and Perth.
Route: Here's the route broken into 3 parts using Google Maps.
  1. Mississauga to Calabogie 6.5hrs
  2. Calabogie to Huntsville 6hrs
  3. Huntsville to Mississauga 7hrs
PM or post if up you are in:)

1719530210477.png

Happy to have you guys think of me, but I think it’s a bit too ambitious of a ride for me on the scrambler. Plus I promised the family I’d spend the weekend with them.

Planning on taking a day off within the next week or two and just spend a day riding though.

25h36m eh

Wow, what a ride! Good luck, Shane. I can't make, and I'm too slow, anyway.

An observation: you're planning on coming down Hwy. 400 on Monday night, the final night of a long weekend??

Been a while since I posted up a ride and curious what I'm capable of...
Since the summer solstice was way to hot to head out this year, I'm going to try that route on Canada Day. A buddy was going to join me, but an unexpected emergency just came up, so posting this here if anyone is up for it.

It looks to be a beautiful day with the forecast calling for 24deg and pure sun. Should be perfect for a sunrise to sunset ride with lots of beautiful twisty backroads and little traffic. No gravel intended - just paved roads. If you have ridden with me before - same sort of thing, but longer:)

Experienced riders only, since it will be a lot of twisty roads at a good pace.
If I end up finishing the whole thing, it will be about 1500km, round trip from Mississauga.

Pace: I'll keep it responsible in the straights, respectful in the smaller towns and a fun in the corners. No hooligan or stupid stuff.
Fuel: Gas stops roughly every 200km with short breaks every 2 hours or so.
Food: Packing snacks & lunch with breaks at nice scenic spots.
Depart: Mississauga @ 5:15am (have to start this early to stand a chance of doing the whole route...)
Return: I have to be back home to Mississauga by 10pm latest - if we are running behind, then I'll just remove some roads to make time. If I'm feeling tired or spent, then I have no problem cutting it short.

Meetups: Open to meet up anywhere between Misissauga and Perth.
Route: Here's the route broken into 3 parts using Google Maps.
  1. Mississauga to Calabogie 6.5hrs
  2. Calabogie to Huntsville 6hrs
  3. Huntsville to Mississauga 7hrs
PM or post if up you are in:)

View attachment 68559
This just looks and sounds incredible!!!!

Shane’s rides are awesome and he’s a great lead rider. I’ve done a handful and his patience with my slowness is astounding!

I can’t make this ride due to family obligations but would happily join, although I’d slow him down with the Scrambler.

25h36m eh
For some reason the MyRouteApp on my laptop always shows a much longer time that it really is on the road. Once I transfer the route to my GPS, it then displays the same time as what Google Maps usually indicates. So it's probably closer to 20 hours, but I'm going ot try and finish it in 17.

Wow, what a ride! Good luck, Shane. I can't make, and I'm too slow, anyway.

An observation: you're planning on coming down Hwy. 400 on Monday night, the final night of a long weekend??
Yes sir. It's all good because from Barrie, there there's many ways home if the 400 was too slow.

A few of us here have done something similar on the Summer Solstice in past years, but we never finish the whole thing - usually because we stop and talk for too long on our breaks, or some years it's been well over 30deg out. The most I've managed to complete is around 1300km of a similar route. Maybe this will be the year!

I'd love to run part of it with you, but some priority family business take precedence this weekend.

I've done the ride in the past (I think it was a bit shorter - I recall 1400km and 16hrs with my start and end in Markham). It's a grind but a helluva a day, Shane led a great ride.

And 16 hours into the ride you are probably past peak traffic.
16 hours in and you’re past a lot of peaks!

A sun-up to sundown 1500km ride on secondary highways is a challenging day for most seasoned riders.

But it sure is fun!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom