Canada about to get its 6th NHL team! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Canada about to get its 6th NHL team!

FiReSTaRT

Site Supporter
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=367433
Fifteen years after the departure of the Jets, the city of Winnipeg has arrived at a triumphant moment that many thought would never come.

NHL hockey is returning to the Manitoba capital.

The True North Sports and Entertainment group announced on Tuesday that they have completed a deal to purchase the Atlanta Thrashers and move them to Winnipeg in time for the 2011-12 season.

So Canada will have 6 NHL Teams:
1) Habs
2) Sens
3) Flames
4) Oilers
5) Canucks
6) THRASHERS!!!

That spells good news for Toronto as we might finally get an NHL team of our own someday :cool:

Any release on the name yet?

Can they be called the Jets again?

Any release on the name yet?

Can they be called the Jets again?

They may work out a deal with the bums in Phoenix as they own the rights to the name.

Thanks to the people of Atlanta for giving us their second failed hockey franchise. We appreciate it.

How much longer before Phoenix is back in Canada?

i am happy that winnipeg gets a team back.

but let us not forget....they left for a reason.

1) poor management
2) arena
3) economy

now...

1) better ownership group (deep pockets)
2) new arena. small in size, but should still be ok
3) very scary. a few problems come to mind. First, I dont know if the people of winnipeg can afford the tickets. i know its all nice and fun now....but what happens in a few years when all the buzz is gone? winnipeg isnt a very lucrative city. Second, they are banking on the can $ being par with the US $. very very risky to do for a canadian team in the NHL. Building a future plan based on times being good is not the best of ideas.

i am happy another team is in canada.
i am happy peg got a team back.
i would just hate to see them leave AGAIN.

for the record..... toronto should get another team next.
go nowhere else but another team in toronto.
give me another chance to watch the visiting teams win. lol

Shovels need to be in the ground in Quebec before they can even consider this.

Do the avalanche still have the naming rights to the Nordiques?

We should have gotten them. That way the curse of Keon would not apply.

3) very scary. a few problems come to mind. First, I dont know if the people of winnipeg can afford the tickets. i know its all nice and fun now....but what happens in a few years when all the buzz is gone? winnipeg isnt a very lucrative city. Second, they are banking on the can $ being par with the US $. very very risky to do for a canadian team in the NHL. Building a future plan based on times being good is not the best of ideas.

I heard the move is dependent on Winnipeg getting 10,000 season ticket commitments for a 3-year mandatory term. I'm thinking that's going to be tough-sledding. Although I'm not sure the league has much of a choice..

I heard the move is dependent on Winnipeg getting 10,000 season ticket commitments for a 3-year mandatory term. I'm thinking that's going to be tough-sledding. Although I'm not sure the league has much of a choice..

i am not too sure, i dont remember hearing that.
but if it is true, they will do it.
they will get the commitment right now.

i was just forecasting about later. when the team might not be very good. when things might not be a buzz.
lets not forget, ticket prices will keep on rising.
the pricing seems reasonable now (to generate interest and promote season tickets) but i dont know if it is going to ok later.

they cant be that stupid to not think about this stuff.
what i am saying is not rocket science.
it would be really bad news for the team to leave again.

Just saw on the TV..base ticket price is suspected to be $39..Edmonton is $34, Calgary is $32, Ottawa is $29..I'm thinking, do they really think they can get $39 in Winnipeg?? I mean, surely those other cities have more disposable income?? Dunno..I'm happy for them..I just hope it works..

Just saw on the TV..base ticket price is suspected to be $39..Edmonton is $34, Calgary is $32, Ottawa is $29..I'm thinking, do they really think they can get $39 in Winnipeg?? I mean, surely those other cities have more disposable income?? Dunno..I'm happy for them..I just hope it works..

I heard, because the arena is so small, that the base price would be around $75! Are you sure about the $39?

I heard, because the arena is so small, that the base price would be around $75! Are you sure about the $39?

Yeah, that's what TSN was saying..I think they're projecting, I don't think it's really been announced..I was in a bar so I couldn't hear what they were saying. I'll see if I can find a link..

Yeah, from TSN's website..
A nickname for the team has not yet been selected. Ticket prices for games in Winnipeg will range from $39-$129 per game.

I'm thinking they're pricing a bit high frankly. Then again, there's nothing else in Winnipeg? Dunno..

the gap petween the prices is b/c even the crappiest seats, and still better than the mid-level seats anywhere else in canada. that arena is awesome. feels very 'intimate' it is crazy loud as well.

winnipeg is city that is growing at an incredible pace. i think it has the potential for a long term. look at edmonton. not many people gave them a chance back in the day.

Wow...congrats to Winterpeg...wonder when we are getting a team?

Wow...congrats to Winterpeg...wonder when we are getting a team?

You'll have one in Newmarket before we get one in Toronto :cool:

Back
Top Bottom