buying an out of province bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

buying an out of province bike

FriendlyFoe

Dont feel like waiting till tuesday for an answer to this by calling the ministry, figure someone would know.

If i have a bill of sale and signed over ownership from an Alberta registered motorcycle and i try to register the bike here i'm going to have to pay the HST tax yes?

I actually have owned the bike for 3 years but cant find my registration, and dont feel like paying the 1000 dollars in photo radar tickets i have from alberta. Cant get a new registration from them until its paid and all i can find is the paperwork from when i bought the damn thing.

Dont feel like waiting till tuesday for an answer to this by calling the ministry, figure someone would know.

If i have a bill of sale and signed over ownership from an Alberta registered motorcycle and i try to register the bike here i'm going to have to pay the HST tax yes?

I actually have owned the bike for 3 years but cant find my registration, and dont feel like paying the 1000 dollars in photo radar tickets i have from alberta. Cant get a new registration from them until its paid and all i can find is the paperwork from when i bought the damn thing.

i am assuming the signed over ownership is the part of the registration that the seller signed when you bought the bike. if so, that signed over ownership and the bill of sale is all you need. They would also ask you to fill up the insurance portion but does not really ask for proof.

ya since it will seem like i bought it out of province tho wont the ontario government try to charge me sales tax on it? or not? 13% on 4700 dollars is enough that i might as well pay my grand in fines.

ya since it will seem like i bought it out of province tho wont the ontario government try to charge me sales tax on it? or not? 13% on 4700 dollars is enough that i might as well pay my grand in fines.

MTO doesn't have to know that you paid $4,700. There's no black book value on bikes.
They don't really ask for the bill of sale just the UVIP which you can pretty much fill out yourself.

MTO doesn't have to know that you paid $4,700. There's no black book value on bikes.
They don't really ask for the bill of sale just the UVIP which you can pretty much fill out yourself.

I suspect uvips are ONLY available on vehicles registered in ontario... this is an alberta bike

To the OP, you will also have to get the bike safetied. if you are maintaining an alberta address because you are going back and forth, I'd just pay the fines and keep the vehicle as an alberta vehicle.

Hmmm good point. I'm never going back to alberta so i have no intention of paying the fines. Thats a great idea actually but the only problem is both the bill of sale and previous owners registration say 4700 dollars on them. I could probably come up with a new bill of sale but i'm thinking scratching out the price on the registration and writing in a new one below it would send up flags pretty quickly. Hmmmm i wonder if i have anyone with a friend at the ministry who would accidentally miss something like that....

scratch out the number on the registration and scribble some initials beside it to make it look legit. or just turn the 4 into a $ sign and you have a $700 bike. No matter what you change the number too, even $10, the people behind the desk at the MTO don't care. Also just make a new bill of sale. You most likely wont even need that. They will make you pay $20 for a uvip and they will ask you how much you paid, then they will just write that on the bill of sale part of the uvip.

Last edited:
scratch out the number on the registration and scribble some initials beside it to make it look legit. or just turn the 4 into a $ sign and you have a $700 bike. No matter what you change the number too, even $10, the people behind the desk at the MTO don't care. Also just make a new bill of sale. You most likely wont even need that. They will make you pay $20 for a uvip and they will ask you how much you paid, then they will just write that on the bill of sale part of the uvip.
like^^^

better question as i think farther into this. Does anyone know if a vin registered in another province will show up here? I wouldn't think the databases would be connected but maybe i'm wrong? The bike is currently registered to me in alberta so i'm wondering what will happen when they punch in the vin here lol

no, it won't show any history. the UVIP is useless if you even get one for a bike that wasn't registered in ontario. that being said, once you register your bike in ontario, that's the start of it's history in ontario.

by the way, some don't ask for the bill of sale and only ask you how much you paid for it. you can say whatever amount you wish and they will base the tax on that amount.

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom