Boat Rentals | GTAMotorcycle.com

Boat Rentals

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Anyone have an in / recommendation for a boat rental? Some friends got a boat free for use from their boss (smart boss...give disgruntled employees use of a boat and they pay storage) and now my wife is all 'maybe we can be boat people too!'

So while I'm not ready to buy a boat just because...it seems like it would be fun to at least take the wife and kids out for a few hours to give them a taste of the 'rich and famous' lifestyle.

Thoughts? Thinking something on Simcoe or a smaller lake would be great. 5 people (2 adults + 3 kids) but wouldn't mind something that we can bring another one or two adults onto.

She asked 'so if you ever actually sell the bike...maybe we should look into a camping trailer or a boat?'

If the tinny wasn't blown up, you could borrow it. Do you have any friends with boats on simcoe? Unfamiliar water with an unfamiliar boat and an inexperienced operator is not a recipe for a fun day.

EDIT:
Going out with someone with experience on their boat is probably a better first day to see if your family likes boats.

If the tinny wasn't blown up, you could borrow it. Do you have any friends with boats on simcoe? Unfamiliar water with an unfamiliar boat and an inexperienced operator is not a recipe for a fun day. Going out with someone with experience on their boat is probably a better first day to see if your family likes boats.
I used to boat a lot with friends on Simcoe, and haven't in recent years.

As a start I would be looking for smaller lakes, and I've operated boats here and there over the years.

I used to boat a lot with friends on Simcoe, and haven't in recent years.

As a start I would be looking for smaller lakes, and I've operated boats here and there over the years.
Fair enough. The inlaws cottage lake has a ton of underwater obstacles. Not a big deal with local knowledge but if a random starts driving around, there is a very good chance things get expensive fast.

I've also been 'looking' at boats recently...some of these are shockingly 'cheap'...

these are the styles I like...but I know nothing...

I'll start a thread if we're going to be boat people...hell I might have one already years ago.

I've also been 'looking' at boats recently...some of these are shockingly 'cheap'...

I'll start a thread if we're going to be boat people...hell I might have one already years ago.
I'd hate the grew for me. Not enough cabin to be useful. Just heavy and an awkward size.

Doral is a typical cottage I/O bowrider. Meh. Not a bad fit for you as there is a decent amount of space and it's fast enough to tow the kids on things.

Sportster is fine. Smallest of the three by far. Maxed with your family, no room for guests. They have three different hp options. Not sure which one that is. Handling is vastly different on that boat. It turns quickly. Neutral is not neutral and you have to shut it off if you want to let go of the steering wheel and not do donuts. Hull shape is strange and it's the first boat I have drifted and needed to counter-steer.

No such thing as a cheap boat.

Lake Temagami must be very well marked with few hazards, because 3 buddies and their wives rented a "Three Buoys" Houseboat a few years back... each had ZERO boating experience and just got the "temporary boater's card" from Three Buoys so didn't need their full pleasure craft operator's card (this may have changed recently, i'm not sure).

It took the one guy 20 minutes of attempting to practice dock before the rental guy took over and docked for him - yet he still let them take it out for the weekend.

In the end they all had a hoot and there weren't any issues, so that's an option if you don't mind a 5 hour drive from Toronto and wanna play around with a houseboat ;)

Nothing about boating is shockingly cheap.

That Grew 24 sips 24l/hr on a plane at 2500rpm, if you were running hard at 4500RPM (37mph), you're gulping 60l/hr. The Doral will be marginally better at top speed as it will get to the mid 40s for 60l/hr.

Jet boats are a bit lighter on fuel, mainly because they are smaller and lighter. I'd expect 20l/hr at 30mph, and 60lph in the high 40s.

That's just fuel. Annual fluid changes and tuneup isn't bad - expect $200-300. Most recreational boats are made for lighter duty use, expect electrical gremlins, and periodic attention to almost everything else. That old Grew is an exception, the 19 they 24's were common in commercial fleets on the great lakes (police boats, rescue, island taxis, charter fishing, dive boats etc), they are tough cookies!

Renting a boat is far cheaper then owning but not cheap by any means. Several boat rental days and you could have paid for a boat. But you would be stuck with all the crappy parts of boat ownership. (storage, maintenance , transport etc.)

If you are looking at a Sportster style boat, I can put you in touch with someone who is selling one. Could be a 4 seater but would have to confirm.

Another thing to keep in mind when purchasing a boat is the vehicle to be used to tow it AND get it out of the water. As much as your Honda Odyssey may be fine to tow it down the 401, being a front wheel drive, it might have trouble getting it out of the water on some poor quality boat ramps.
Just his past weekend, I learned that my FIL's older Odyssey could not pull his boat out of the water. It was a bowrider style boat (similar to the 2nd one you mentioned) and the ramp had some soft sand/gravel. I'm sure having some better condition tires would have helped but what do I know. He is the mechanic that knows better. :rolleyes:.
Thankfully a gentlemen with a F-150 offered to pull us out. Luckily we had a good chain or else we may still be there today.

The best would be to sweet talk some friends to either take you on their boat or borrow their boat. But that brings a whole deferent level of unfamiliarity and risk.

No such thing as a cheap boat.
I'll second that... BOAT = Bring out another thousand. Once you get above 30FT its more like BOATT = Bring out another ten thousand lol

Like any amazing hobby (Motorcycling, Cycling, etc.) there are levels to your weapon of choice.

I've had a few different boats, I prefer the Cabin Cruisers over the Bow Rider / Wake Boats.

I currently have a 30FT Sea Ray Express Cruiser on Lake Simcoe, we enjoy small trips and dropping anchor in the sand bar and spending the day swimming and lounging.

It's all relevant to what you plan on doing with your time on the water.

At least everyone in the family gets to go on a boat . For Wasaga , I’d buy the Doral bow rider , pick weather windows and enjoy the toy.
I’d shop longer and harder for an outboard over I/O . Easier to work on , less expensive to own , better on gas with modern engines .
Welcome to a new world of stupid expenses .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Was running my FIL's boat last weekend. He hit a few rocks on the way to trailer it in the fall (path is treacherous especially with low water). Apparently my four blade was on (I must have put it on as he'd never switch it). Ugh. No big missing chunks but he bent a blade. Doesn't hook as well now, can't take as much trim and vibrates a bit more. I'm not sure I'm annoyed enough to try to straighten it next time I go up. The three blade that came on the boat was stupid and propped for top speed which is stupid for a cottage boat. With the four blade, you can cruise at just under 2000 rpm (when the prop was healthy a little under 1900), with the stock three blade drop under 2200 and it sinks back in.

If you want to stay close to home, you can check out rentals at Harbourfront Centre for Lake Ontario.

Back
Top Bottom