Bike knocked over isn't "Comprehensive"? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike knocked over isn't "Comprehensive"?

iFly55

My bike was knocked over, and there were some fairing, mirror, clutch, turn-signal and handlebar damage. Not to mention the bike wouldn't start after i picked it up. So i filed a police report, and called my insurance company, "Desjardin".

They're telling me because it made contact with the ground it's considered a "collision"! I only have liability + comprehensive (theft, vandalism, fire). I told them someone knocked it over, or the wind knocked it over.

They're telling me that there has to be a witness, who saw it being knocked over. Why am i paying for comprehensive if it doesn't even cover vandalism? She's telling me vandalism is if someone spray paints the bike or smashes it with a baseball bat.

I would've paid for collision if I had known it covered ******** knocking over my bike. The only reason i didn't pay for collision, was because the bike is only worth $4000 and it's not worth the insurance increase to file an at-fault claim to pay for the bike.

She then takes my information and gives me a claim # and tells me a new advisor is going to "review my coverages". What's going on here?

I can't fully remember, but when I originally signed with TD MM I asked about this, and they said the 'other person would pay'. I questioned how would that even work as they'd likely run/park elsewhere after hitting it, and they said then it is collision, so you pretty much need 'all perils' coverage to be safe.

Wtf?? That's the most ***-backwards explanation I've ever heard

Disgusted, but not surprised. OP so sorry to hear this but it's very common they will do everything in their power not to hand a cent back to you.

Op is clearly a greedy pinko commie. Hey OP how dare you try and take advantage of the struggling insurance industry like this. You are clearly under the impression that insurance is there for you to benefit from. It’s not.. it’s a government mandated program that is designed to give benefit to the insurance industry. Its people like you who try and make claims when damage is done to a vehicle that causes insurance industries to have to raise rates to cover their costs. This year I bet most insurance CEOs won’t even be able to hire a full staff on their yachts.

On a seriouse note I dont know what you expected OP. Its the same reason you dont go to insurance when you ding or get a window chip. Its just not worth to make these types of claims. On the plus side you will probably get it repaired but will pay for it accross all your insurances for the next 5-10 years

OAP 1: the legal policy wordings covering car and motorcycle insurance

Section 7.1.2: "Collision or Upset-we will pay for losses caused when a described automobile is involved in a collision with another object or tips over."

If the bike was parked on a roadway or where other vehicles are passing, then it's more likely to be a 'hot and run'. Lets face it, motorcycles do not 'fall over' in the wind.

Insurance companies are legally obligated to pay for claims covered by the insurance policy, but it's unfair to blame them if you did not purchase the coverage you wanted/needed. I'm sure you asked what coverages were included like hit and run.

Moral: ready your insurance certificate. Read the OAP 1 wordings. Ask questions. Don't just focus on the bottom line price. Know what you are purchasing, (just like everything else in life)

A bit off topic, but I must ask this:

What if a parked motorbike gets knocked over by an earthquake? Not something major so it causes surrounding buildings to go down, but a minor tremble just strong enough to make your side stand slip. No other vehicles involved. No witnesses of the fall.
Covered/non-covered?
:confused:

A bit off topic, but I must ask this:

What if a parked motorbike gets knocked over by an earthquake? Not something major so it causes surrounding buildings to go down, but a minor tremble just strong enough to make your side stand slip. No other vehicles involved. No witnesses of the fall.
Covered/non-covered?
:confused:

I believe acts of god are covered under comprehensive.
But if it is a coliision (Which it was) it would fall under collision? Makes sense to me.

I believe acts of god are covered under comprehensive.

It made contact with the ground.. How do you know that it wasn't someone running from the earthquake who hit it with his car and knocked it over? :cool:

lol... why would you call them in the first place?

"Hi, someone knocked over my bike... or it could have been the wind".

Tip sensor went off, which is why it wouldn't start immediately after. Not a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom