Auto-renewing plates question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Auto-renewing plates question

KLR Junkie

Hey all,

Now that our plates are auto-renewing, has anyone heard if Service Ontario will be mailing out new registration cards that don't have expiration dates printed on them?

While my older permits don't have it, the last couple of vehicles that I've registered have had expiration dates printed on the plate portion of the permit. I don't want to be driving around with a permit that has an expired date on it. I can just picture it now, some local yokel deputy in PA has me pulled over for speeding and I've got to explain that 'it's OK officer, my registration is still valid, it's just that Ontario doesn't enforce that anymore but they didn't send out new permits.'

I've sent an email to SO asking them what's up, but their standard of service for emails is 15 days so I thought I'd check in here.

We'd all like to think they thought that far ahead

Interesting question. Looking at one printed in 2019, it has effective date on the front but no expiry. On the back in the validation sticker section it has "This permit must be presented for annual validation" and my last sticker expired long ago. I'm not sure if they updated the form since douggie killed stickers or if they still hand out the same form that gives out of province LE something to latch on to.

There was a radio campaign last year I think about this. You have to renew it, even if free, you will not get the reminder mail. You can ask to be emailed on their web site. I renewed for 2 years as that was an option last year, as I didn't get the envelope and forgot about it.
You need your plate number and another number on your ownership.

There was a radio campaign last year I think about this. You have to renew it, even if free, you will not get the reminder mail. You can ask to be emailed on their web site. I renewed for 2 years as that was an option last year, as I didn't get the envelope and forgot about it.
You need your plate number and another number on your ownership.
As of July 1, it is auto-renew as long as you don't owe money (tickets or 407).

The question the OP asked is in regards to the paperwork in his possession that a foreign LE officer may take issue with. I haven't heard of any efforts to replace that paperwork with something that said that the paperwork was perpetually valid as long as the computer was happy.

As of July 1, it is auto-renew as long as you don't owe money (tickets or 407).

The question the OP asked is in regards to the paperwork in his possession that a foreign LE officer may take issue with. I haven't heard of any efforts to replace that paperwork with something that said that the paperwork was perpetually valid as long as the computer was happy.
Oh, got it, thanks!

I was in Service Ontario last week asking about auto renew and they have been told nothing about the program. Seems like less work for them on the horizon

I was in Service Ontario last week asking about auto renew and they have been told nothing about the program. Seems like less work for them on the horizon
See that is 100% what I expect

IMO this whole program is total BS.

When your licence plate automatically renews:
  • it will be valid for 1 year
  • law enforcement will be instantly aware your licence plate was renewed
  • we will not contact you to confirm your plate was renewed
  • you will not receive a sticker
  • you will not have to pay a fee
The ministry "will not contact you to confirm your plate was renewed".

They'll process this 3 months before the expiry date. Mine is mid October 2024. So presumably this process can begin as early at July 15. But what is the target completion date? 1 week, 2 weeks, a month from July 15?

Given the track record of the DoFo government, and government in general, do I trust them to do this properly? So, to be prudent, I have to check to see that it was done correctly. So I have to log in using below info.

ServiceOntario

Licence plate expiry checker​

Required documents​

Before you start, you will need both your:
  1. licence plate number
  2. vehicle permit number (also known as the vehicle ownership)

If I have to do this then I might as well have renewed my plates myself for 2 years, not 1 year, as the incremental steps are negligible at that point.

Also, with my 2 year renewal I printed out the documents stipulating that my plates were valid so if Billy Bob in North Carolina stops me on my bike I don't get jailed or have the bike seized for expired plates. As extra insurance I carefully peeled off all the old stickers on the plate., but my registration document still has an implied expiry date (the month and year) on the sticker you affix there.

Typical DoFo knee jerk, poorly thought out and executed "plan". The whole mess started as a populist "buy the election" exercise that deprives the government of revenue with no corresponding reduction in expenses. All this does is contribute to the deficit.

Shockingly, I got a reply from Service Ontario. Here's the relevant portion of the email:
When your licence plate is renewed, it also renews your vehicle ownership permit automatically.

The Ministry of Transportation has communicated the changes to other jurisdictions so that they are aware that Ontario licence plate stickers will no longer be issued and that passenger, light-trucks, motorcycles, limited speed motorcycles mopeds, Dealer, Service and Manufacturer plates may show an expired or missing sticker. Expired stickers may be removed or left on the plate as of March 13, 2022.

Please note: when your plate is renewed, law enforcement will instantly be aware your licence plate was renewed.

As an option, individuals are eligible to get an updated permit reprint at Service Ontario locations at no cost. You will need to bring your existing permit in order to get a free replacement. The new vehicle permits state that plate validation is not required.

So, just like the plate stickers, everyone has been automatically informed of the change and there will be absolutely no problems with law enforcement from jurisdictions outside of Ontario. 🤨

Fortunately it's only my new dual sport bike that has the expiration date printed on the permit. If I decide to take the bike on a trip down south, maybe I'll go get a reprinted permit, just in case.

Shockingly, I got a reply from Service Ontario. Here's the relevant portion of the email:

So, just like the plate stickers, everyone has been automatically informed of the change and there will be absolutely no problems with law enforcement from jurisdictions outside of Ontario. 🤨

Fortunately it's only my new dual sport bike that has the expiration date printed on the permit. If I decide to take the bike on a trip down south, maybe I'll go get a reprinted permit, just in case.
Let us know how it goes. I will talk to my SO contact and see how they are dealing with this. Normally they reissue ownership for change of address for free but lost ownership costs you $20 or so. This is neither of those scenarios so I'm not sure what they do on the computer (they could easily do lost ownership but that likely triggers the charge which you won't want to pay).

IMO this whole program is total BS.

When your licence plate automatically renews:
  • it will be valid for 1 year
  • law enforcement will be instantly aware your licence plate was renewed
  • we will not contact you to confirm your plate was renewed
  • you will not receive a sticker
  • you will not have to pay a fee
The ministry "will not contact you to confirm your plate was renewed".

They'll process this 3 months before the expiry date. Mine is mid October 2024. So presumably this process can begin as early at July 15. But what is the target completion date? 1 week, 2 weeks, a month from July 15?

Given the track record of the DoFo government, and government in general, do I trust them to do this properly? So, to be prudent, I have to check to see that it was done correctly. So I have to log in using below info.

ServiceOntario

Licence plate expiry checker​

Required documents​

Before you start, you will need both your:
  1. licence plate number
  2. vehicle permit number (also known as the vehicle ownership)

If I have to do this then I might as well have renewed my plates myself for 2 years, not 1 year, as the incremental steps are negligible at that point.

Also, with my 2 year renewal I printed out the documents stipulating that my plates were valid so if Billy Bob in North Carolina stops me on my bike I don't get jailed or have the bike seized for expired plates. As extra insurance I carefully peeled off all the old stickers on the plate., but my registration document still has an implied expiry date (the month and year) on the sticker you affix there.

Typical DoFo knee jerk, poorly thought out and executed "plan". The whole mess started as a populist "buy the election" exercise that deprives the government of revenue with no corresponding reduction in expenses. All this does is contribute to the deficit.

If your plate will not renew automatically​

Step 1: We will contact you​

We will contact you if your licence plate can’t be automatically renewed because you have an issue with your insurance or outstanding fines or tolls.

Text, email or phone​

If you have signed up to receive renewal reminders by text, email or phone call, you will be notified 90 days, 45 days and 10 days before your licence plate expires.

Mail​

If you have not signed up for digital renewal reminders, we will mail you a letter 90 days before your licence plate expires.

Make sure you update your address within 6 days after you move so you receive mail from ServiceOntario.

If your plate will not renew automatically​

Step 1: We will contact you​

We will contact you if your licence plate can’t be automatically renewed because you have an issue with your insurance or outstanding fines or tolls.

Text, email or phone​

If you have signed up to receive renewal reminders by text, email or phone call, you will be notified 90 days, 45 days and 10 days before your licence plate expires.

Mail​

If you have not signed up for digital renewal reminders, we will mail you a letter 90 days before your licence plate expires.

Make sure you update your address within 6 days after you move so you receive mail from ServiceOntario.
I also got a letter in the mail saying that they won't auto renew any of my older vehicles those will still need to be manually renewed
Licence plates will not be automatically renewed for:
commercial and business vehicles.
motorhomes.
vehicles manufactured before 1983.
buses and school buses.
off-road vehicles and snowmobiles.
trailers.

Sent from the future

I also got a letter in the mail saying that they won't auto renew any of my older vehicles those will still need to be manually renewed

Sent from the future
What is older? Do you have historic or YOM plates on them? Is there a reason for historic plates to exist anymore?

I wonder what the point of that cutoff would be

So I looked at the ON plate site and my bike plate was auto renewed. Great, so it system works...............

I decided to get a print out to keep on the bike for US trips and discovered the document simply says your plate is renewed and gives the expiry date (for me) as October 2025. No registered owner name and no license plate number. This renders the document as essentially worthless.

You have to wonder at the thought process on the government on this basic failure. Why the hell would I print out a document that contains zero info on the specific vehicle in question. I have 2 vehicles, so I now have 2 identical letters with the same expiry date, so I made a note on each as to which one it pertains to.

I can just hear Billy Bob the LEO in Georgia...........

BB "Your registration says your licence plate sticker expired in October 2022"
Me "Officer, the government eliminated sticker renewals to get re-elected. Stickers are now automatically renewed"
BB "Do you have any proof of this?
Me "I have this document I printed out from their web page"
BB "Boy, you must think we're stupid down here. There's nothing here about who you are or the even the license plate number of your motorcycle. This "document" proves nothing. You're under arrest for driving without a valid plate. A couple of days in the slammer with Tiny as a cell mate will smarten you up."

They will send you a letter for plates they cannot/didn't renew....

I got the letter for two cars I scrapped in recent years and a motorcycle I still own but have taken off the road. It did not say why but my guess is these vehicles did not pass their insurance test.

As for paperwork, yeah just like the expired sticker I bet people run into out of country or out of province hickups as it is still an oddity in many places.

Back
Top Bottom