Anyone know the best way to clean these? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone know the best way to clean these?

Ultrasonic cleaner.
Wire wheel ......on a grinder, or a drill.
O rings should be replaceable.
That sounds reasonable. Keep the wire wheel far from the screens as it will kill them. A brush used for straws (or small wire brush) up the center will knock off loose schmoo.

Are these fuel pickups? You make need to use something to dissolve the varnish.

This seems like a job @bitzz will have a good plan for.

Pop off the o rings and hit them with the wire wheel being very careful of the plastic screens. Or you can get the same effect with elbow grease and steel wool but clean them VERY after after if you go that route.

If they flow, i'd put them back in and do my best to forget about them.
Maybe polish the brass a bit, new orings (smaller than the ones on there)
If they don't flow, I'd use a sonic bath at the lowest setting. Is the screen plastic? that would be a problem

If they flow, i'd put them back in and do my best to forget about them.
Maybe polish the brass a bit, new orings (smaller than the ones on there)
If they don't flow, I'd use a sonic bath at the lowest setting. Is the screen plastic? that would be a problem
I cleaned them with some toilet bowl cleaner I got in the states ("the works") seems to have brightened the brass a bit and cleaned the screens somewhat. Used a toothbrush to scrub lightly and a straw cleaner for the inside. I also neutralized with some baking soda just in case. When you say smaller o rings do you mean thickness or diameter? While cleaning them and even after they are giving off a weird smell similar to a refinery odour? Normal?

thickness, the ones on there are going get squished out, a smaller one will seal with less force

I worry about brass and weird cleaners. Brass don't mind acids, but the plastic parts will, but brass don't like base cleaners, toilet cleaners and the like

thickness, the ones on there are going get squished out, a smaller one will seal with less force

I worry about brass and weird cleaners. Brass don't mind acids, but the plastic parts will, but brass don't like base cleaners, toilet cleaners and the like
So does that mean they are going to fall apart on me! Where is the best place to get thinner o rings that can withstand fuels? I have several kits but they all seem to be thicker.

Maybe look up what brass instrument (think orchestra ) restoration guys use to restore a big trumbone or trumpet.

How about this?

1726406049145.png

Last edited:
So does that mean they are going to fall apart on me! Where is the best place to get thinner o rings that can withstand fuels? I have several kits but they all seem to be thicker.
You want viton o-rings for fuel resistance. Call D&D Engineering in Mississauga, that's where I get my o-rings when I don't feel like waiting or over-paying for OEM o-rings. They do have a minimum charge, though, so I usually buy extras which I'll need anyways for my Ducati fuel pump base and fuel line connectors (which are also the same as the KTM).

D&D will be able to tell you the ID and thickness of the o-ring you need if you bring the pickup, but may need whatever it seals against to tell you the OD. If you know that seal on there is OEM, they may be able to tell from that, but if at all possible, go on a forum dedicated to that bike and find out from them. what the size should be.

I forgot you're farther out west than Mississauga, so you could also try Seals Unlimited in in Burlington, assuming it's the same company that was in Port Credit back in 2007 - they helped me figure out which seals to get for the Ducati and gave them to me free as samples since I only needed a couple at the time:

Yes, Seals unlimited did move from Mississauga to Burlington

Any bearing house sells orings

OP: it doesn't REALLY matter, I would replace them... but I stock Orings, so it's simple, I wouldn't put a lot of effort in replacing them, they'll work, they're fine, just smaller would be better... use pipe dope if you want, DO NOT use teflon tape

OH... and ANY oring sold is fuel resistant

Yes, Seals unlimited did move from Mississauga to Burlington

Any bearing house sells orings

OP: it doesn't REALLY matter, I would replace them... but I stock Orings, so it's simple, I wouldn't put a lot of effort in replacing them, they'll work, they're fine, just smaller would be better... use pipe dope if you want, DO NOT use teflon tape

OH... and ANY oring sold is fuel resistant
Nope there are edpm oring everywhere not compatible with hydrocarbons.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom