Anyone got a chain breaker/riveting tool I can borrow? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone got a chain breaker/riveting tool I can borrow?

I'm in Scarborough, just ordered a new chain. Willing to rent or provide beverage of your choice as recompense.
I use a Dewalt grinder to remove mine and also have an RK rivet tool with chain breaker, but I’ve never used the chain breaker bit. You are welcome to borrow both grinder and rivet tool and I drink water from the tap.

I’m in Mississauga though, or work in west end TO.

Last edited:
I have a motion pro but I am even further west than the rest! I use mine to rivet and break and have never had an issue. The breaker works well and is quick. Always buy a extra master link or 2 just in case you have to remove your chain to perform some other maintenance. They are cheap. I buy a different coloured link so that I can see it quickly and if at the track you don't have to mark it. The only thing I wish the motion pro had was a longer handle but you can always add a piece of pipe or something.

Have a tool but also way west of you.
I also do what Relax does, grind the rivet head down so the tool has an easier time pushing the rivet shaft out.

Bolt cutters work for removal too (assuming the chain is going in the garbage). The added benefits of not coating your bike in grinding dust and no sparks near fuel.

Where are you guys getting your chains and sprockets?
Wherever I can find somebody selling EK chains with matching screw links. I have a rivet tool but it's sooooooo much easier to use the screw links, nearly foolproof

Wherever I can find somebody selling EK chains with matching screw links. I have a rivet tool but it's sooooooo much easier to use the screw links, nearly foolproof
Yeah, I have one of those on my shelf waiting to be installed when next needed. I did my very first rivet link after many years of clips, and it was a pain even with my friend's chain tool. My OCD was making be measure and remeasure the rivet width. Too little and you risk it coming out, too much and you have a tight link. You tighten it to where you think it's enough and try to remember how tight it felt before you loosen it to measure the rivet so that you can retighten to at least that point if it wasn't enough. On the other hand, purposely tightening something until it breaks off sounds like fun!

I have a motion pro but I am even further west than the rest! I use mine to rivet and break and have never had an issue. The breaker works well and is quick. Always buy a extra master link or 2 just in case you have to remove your chain to perform some other maintenance. They are cheap. I buy a different coloured link so that I can see it quickly and if at the track you don't have to mark it. The only thing I wish the motion pro had was a longer handle but you can always add a piece of pipe or something.

The Motion Pro should have a hex for use with a wrench if the included rod doesn't give you enough leverage.

Back
Top Bottom