Any plumbing experts here? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any plumbing experts here?

Motorcycle Mike

I just moved into a new-to-me house.

In the basement near the floor drain / laundry tub area there is a running water sound. The water meter is also constantly turning and consumes about 1/2 cubic meter of water per night (when no other water is being used).

I didn't notice this sound when I looked at the house a few times prior to buying it, and there is nothing in the home inspection report about it.

Brother-in-law, who helped me move, suggested that it probably is a flow of water into the drain to prevent sewer gases.

So, is this normal and does this sound right? If it is part of the 'design', could it be fixed or altered so the flow is lower? The sound itself is somewhat annoying, and so is just knowing that I am wasting money every day by having water flow constantly.

The thing your bro-in-law suggested is called a primer, and this could be the case. Im not a plumber though so I can't say how much water is supposed to be coming out of one. Just droplets, as far as Im concerned. Not sure what that would equate to on the meter though. I'd say you shouldn't be hearing a running water sound though!

The thing your bro-in-law suggested is called a primer, and this could be the case. Im not a plumber though so I can't say how much water is supposed to be coming out of one. Just droplets, as far as Im concerned. Not sure what that would equate to on the meter though. I'd say you shouldn't be hearing a running water sound though!

That actually helps me already. A quick google search of running water primer brought up a link that suggests I could have a stuck valve and may need to replace the trap primer for that drain.

Is there a humidifier attached to your hvac?
It usually runs into a floor drain.
I'd say look for a drain line into the floor mid-pipe first.

That actually helps me already. A quick google search of running water primer brought up a link that suggests I could have a stuck valve and may need to replace the trap primer for that drain.

It could be that the water float level is set too high on a furnace-mount humidifier. That can cause constant-on water flow.

However, if it's not a faulty humidifier valve or incorrect humidifier float level setting, and if it is in fact a mechanical trap primer mechanism that is screwing up, you could consider getting rid of any such trap primer mechanism completely.

You can instead automatically prime your trap through ordinary use of your laundry tub every now and then. You can get laundry tub faucets with primer take-offs or faucet body drain plugs that can be used as primer take-offs. When you open your laundry tub faucet, a bit of water is diverted through a line to refill your trap.

This one is from Rona.
3735058.jpg

Look under the bottom of the right side of the faucet body and you'll see a drain plug. Remove it, replace with a compression fitting that will fit flexible 1/8 " or 3/16" plastic or copper tubing, same kind of high pressure tubing used for a humidifier water feed. Run the tubing from the faucet body to the feed point for the trap primer.

The tubing is large enough that it will refill your trap if needed, but not so large that is will take away from the flow out of your faucet spout. Once it's in place you can forget about your trap. It will refill automatically every time you use the laundry tub.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies, guys, but the problem turned out to be quite simple.

After posting earlier, I went downstairs to have another look. The faucet had a thin line leading into the drain and when I kinked that line, the sound disappeared. This line was also hot to the touch, which told me that there was a problem with the hot faucet.

In the end it was just a faulty cartridge, and I managed to find a replacement for that at a plumbing supply store for $8.

Now I just wish I discovered this earlier, because it was such a simple fix I should have done it a week ago when I moved in -- I also hope all that hot water going down the drain won't cost too much when my gas bill arrives! Well, I guess I have a lot to learn being a first time home owner.

Last edited:
Thanks for you replies, guys, but the problem turned out to be quite simple.

After posting earlier, I went downstairs to have another look. The faucet had a thin line leading into the drain and when I kinked that line, the sound disappeared. This line was also hot to the touch, which told me that there was a problem with the hot faucet.

Well there you go. Your laundry faucet already had a trap primer line feeding off it. ;-)

Now I just wish I discovered this earlier, because it was such a simple fix I should have done it a week ago when I moved in -- I also hope all that hot water going down the drain won't cost too much when my gas bill arrives! Well, I guess I have a lot to learn being a first time home owner.

Also your water bill. A leaking toilet just about doubled our water bill IIRC.

Well, I guess I have a lot to learn being a first time home owner.
Hell, I'm a fourth-time home owner, and I'm still learning all the time. There's always, ALWAYS something that needs time and money.

Back
Top Bottom