2025 Yamaha YZF-R1 And YZF-R1M | GTAMotorcycle.com

2025 Yamaha YZF-R1 And YZF-R1M

Sorry... maybe it's just me, but putting "winglets" on a street bike is pretty dumb for the owner, but brilliant for the manufacturer.
When you knock over your bike it falls over and breaks the turn signal off, so you spend $100 and buy signal that don't stick out so much.
When you knock over your bike with "winglets" you're replacing the $100 turnsignals AND $600-1,000 worth of bodywork that sticks out and has ZERO benefit off the track.
Make it so you can remove the winglets and supply a "dummy" plate to ride on the street, and you can install the, now carbon fibre, winglets when you get to the track... not that the winglets are going to be any benefit to me, you or anyone else we know... but the new MotoGP bikes got 'em, so I NEED them too... GOTTA have the latest tech to hang around at Tim Hortons. They'll sell like hot cakes

Sorry... maybe it's just me, but putting "winglets" on a street bike is pretty dumb for the owner, but brilliant for the manufacturer.
When you knock over your bike it falls over and breaks the turn signal off, so you spend $100 and buy signal that don't stick out so much.
When you knock over your bike with "winglets" you're replacing the $100 turnsignals AND $600-1,000 worth of bodywork that sticks out and has ZERO benefit off the track.
Make it so you can remove the winglets and supply a "dummy" plate to ride on the street, and you can install the, now carbon fibre, winglets when you get to the track... not that the winglets are going to be any benefit to me, you or anyone else we know... but the new MotoGP bikes got 'em, so I NEED them too... GOTTA have the latest tech to hang around at Tim Hortons. They'll sell like hot cakes
I agree. I don't know if this is better or worse than "bold new graphics" as the headline update. Both paths are disappointing.

Aside from catering to a particular fashion sense, I believe that winglets exist on the R1M (and ZX-10RR, and M1000RR) so that they are homologated and can be used in various superbike race series that care about such things.

Aside from catering to a particular fashion sense, I believe that winglets exist on the R1M (and ZX-10RR, and M1000RR) so that they are homologated and can be used in various superbike race series that care about such things.
That presents a reasonable argument for R1M. That leaves R1 as fashion and profit only.

Reactions: Ash
That presents a reasonable argument for R1M. That leaves R1 as fashion and profit only.
I didn't read closely enough the first time to see that the R1 also got them. Yeah, that's just for fashion. Even if you're going to put one on the track the first thing you do is swap the expensive fragile OEM fairings with some fiberglass ones.

Probably costs as much to design and manufacture the blanking plates for the missing winglets as it costs to include the winglets anyways. The blurb says the R1 is getting carbon fibre winglets too so its probably the exact same part number. And yeah, homologation reasons are the only reason the R1M exists for. But Ducati has proven it can sell out the V4R at twice the price. The M1000RR was on it's way to doing the same till the bad press.

Odd that the R1M doesn’t get a set of Brembos.
When I used to pay attention to litre-bike group tests, brakes was one of the areas the Japanese bike would get absolutely hammered on in recent years. Whether it was overly conservative ABS or poor feel and fade, the Euro brands would make up big time in lap comparisons just because the brakes were so much better...

Back
Top Bottom