2000 r6 wont stay running | GTAMotorcycle.com

2000 r6 wont stay running

flanka007

Hellooo GTAM Motorcycle doctors!

I really need your help because im not very knowledgeble with the mechanical/technical aspects of bikes nor cars..

I bought a used 2000 r6..when i went to see it..the seller had to jump start the bike with booster cables (car turned off) because the bike was sitting for months (battery drained). It turned on no problem and he even took it for a spin.

Bought the bike, bought a tricke charger and charged the battery for 4 hours till i was able to turn on the bike. I was excited so i wanted to take it for a spin..however this time around the bike will not idle..had to keep blipping the throttle to keep the engine running. Went for a spin around the block once to test it out and parked it in my garage.

Now, 2 days later the bike will stay running only with the choke on..as soon as i blip the throttle or turn off choke..she dies..

i cant really diagnose this problem..so i need ur help..

im thinking i should clean the carbs?!?!

please feel free to make suggestions..its definetly welcomed and will be really appreciated :D

Probably need to clean the carbs, in my experience, untreated fuel when left to sit will gum up rather quickly. Could also check your idle adjustment to be sure its set appropriately.

Hey good tip

ill check the idle adjustment first...i will eventually have to clean the carbs..so hopefully once the carbs are cleaned and sycnronized(whatever that means lol) hopefully it will pan out...i will try to do it myself..
feeling kind of intimidated tho..

I synced the carbs on my Ex500, but that was a 2 cylinder bike. My carb sync tool was built out of 2 ice tea bottles, some water, and 1/4" rubber hose, and some stoppers. Total cost, $2.50.

Carb syncing was easy on that bike, just a matter of running the bike and adjusting the screw until the bottles read a constant even level. I imagine the process would be more complicated on a four cylinder bike though.

After sitting for a long time it's highly probable that your carbs need cleaning. An easy way to try is to drain out the old fuel and put in some new gas. I would suggest that you use premium gas (Shell V-power is good) because it has more detergents in it to clean up the carbs. Add some carb cleaner to the new fuel and run the bike for about ten minutes (if you need to blip or use the choke that's okay). Repeat this every day for about a week. The bike should run progressively better. When you get to the point where it will idle without the choke being on take it for a ride for a couple of hours. I wouldn't mess with the carb sync yet as it was probably good before the carbs got gummed up.

better yet .. go get seafoam and seafoam deep creep.

Spray some into the carbs .. and put some into your fuel. Try and attempt to start it a few times .. leave it and come back in the morning.

(PS. dont start it in an enclosed area, it will look like your garage is on fire )

Sweeeet..this is exactly what i was looking for..now I've a base to work with. :)

Now all ive to do is figure out which method is the best to go with. Thanks Docs. lol

Change the battery. It is probably too old and mistreated to hold a sufficient charge or to send the proper signal's to the computer.

Alrite! Shes firing up now :). Carb cleaners w/ new fuel and a full charged battery solved the problem. I did get some really good tips here for future references in case something more complex happens. Thanks Guys/Gyals and GTAM! Keep Rocking and Ride safe!

Edit.
I found the Adjustment idle screw and the setting was off as well. Did play around with it until it idled at 1500 rpms. Was a mishap to find it..but it was benath the top right fairing of the bike.

Last edited:
Ok so now that shez firing up the idle is messed up. I can bring it down to 1500 but when i blip the throttle it would stay at 3000 rpm or so..

valve clearence? jets clogged?

lol i guess this comes with buying a used bike..i should get the service manual ASAP.

I suspect that you have set your idle too high now. Start the bike and let it warm up or take it for a short ride. With the choke OFF try adjusting your idle adjustment knob (the one you found on the right side of the bike) down to around 1200~1300 rpm (it doesn't take much extra fuel to rev a bike with no load on it). Now try blipping the throttle. If it settles back to 1200 to 1300 all is well. If it's still hanging up you probably have something sticking. It could be something as simple as the throttle cable needing lubrication (easy to do and should be done anyway after sitting for a long time). If it's something in the carbs it should clean up over the next little while as you ride it and the carb cleaner does its thing.

I suspect that you have set your idle too high now. Start the bike and let it warm up or take it for a short ride. With the choke OFF try adjusting your idle adjustment knob (the one you found on the right side of the bike) down to around 1200~1300 rpm (it doesn't take much extra fuel to rev a bike with no load on it). Now try blipping the throttle. If it settles back to 1200 to 1300 all is well. If it's still hanging up you probably have something sticking. It could be something as simple as the throttle cable needing lubrication (easy to do and should be done anyway after sitting for a long time). If it's something in the carbs it should clean up over the next little while as you ride it and the carb cleaner does its thing.

I adjusted the screw and its idling fine now..it sounds perfect. The increase in rpm when idling when throttle is applied hasnt gone away however tomorrow is my day off so ill be using that day to try this DIY out :). http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/r6-how-guides/67178-how-lubricate-throttle-cable.html

Spookycat thanks for your input again. Really appreciate it cuz I sure am learning more about my bike now.

Last edited:

Hey Jack what would you know about an old R6 lol, it was good to see you Thursday, we havent crossed paths for a while, us old guys have to stick together, hope you had a great evening ride with Turn2.

Back
Top Bottom