Magnetic/Safety disconnect cable for use-while-riding

Thread: Magnetic/Safety disconnect cable for use-while-riding

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Magnetic/Safety disconnect cable for use-while-riding

A buddy and I are planning another long trip this summer and we'll have radios that will require constant use. We intend on having these things constantly charging while we're riding so as to avoid loss of communication issues. The downside to something on your head connected via a charging cable to your motorcycle is the possibility of decapitation or spinal injury during a fall. Originally I looked to Apple's Magsafe connectors for their laptops, but they're impossible to come by, and Apple have patented their connector such that humanity cannot advance in this regard.

So we're looking at something like this to put in series between the battery and the radio, which will disconnect linearly if a force is applied to it: http://www.replug.com/whatisit.php#

We would prefer magnetic connectors such as these: http://www.skunkjuiceearbuds.com/sho...lor-black.html but SkunkJuice lives up to its name and are also a bunch of jerks in that they refuse to sell JUST the connectors without the earbuds, of which I would require four. My begging and pleading with them over the past two months has not gotten me anywhere.

Any alternative suggestions? Magnetic is preferred by a long shot, but failing that, something like Replug's system will be acceptable, as well.
    With less than six months' riding experience, on my first bike -- a 600 cc, 110 BHP crotch rocket -- I rode 21,569 km around North America solo in 2011: ridermike.blogspot.com
    Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done, because I am living proof otherwise.

Space has a terrible secret. We are here to protect you from the terrible secret of space.

Re: Magnetic/Safety disconnect cable for use-while-riding

That's pretty cool and a really good idea. You'd just have to create a power cable usinga 3.5mm jack. If you go this route my only advice is to use proper gauge wire as most headphone cables are pretty thin and stranded. Also, document the process so others (me) can copy you!

I'm not crazy about the notion of being tethered to my battery either but, until I read this, I was planning to use a standard 2 point trailer connector but there's no guarantee it will separate as expected during a fall.

Thanks for the suggestion, but those look super fatal. I need it to be able to separate when force is applied on any vector, and minimally at that (less than 1 kg, certainly).

I will certainly document the process, I like making tutorials for this site!
    With less than six months' riding experience, on my first bike -- a 600 cc, 110 BHP crotch rocket -- I rode 21,569 km around North America solo in 2011: ridermike.blogspot.com
    Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done, because I am living proof otherwise.

Space has a terrible secret. We are here to protect you from the terrible secret of space.

lol I wasn't suggesting it, just showing you what I had in mind for my own cable until I stumbled across your idea. Interested to see how yours works out.

Ah, my bad. I'll keep you posted for sure.

Simple Powerlet cable will disconnect quite easily. I hook up my heated gear to it and I've knocked it out of the socket by accident regularly when I forget to unplug myself after a ride.