PDA

View Full Version : Which way does my Renthal sprocket go?? Help!

SNKYRIDER
09-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Which way does my Renthal sprocket go?? Help!

Ok so I recently finished putting my engine back into my 99 CBRF4 I took it out to fix 2nd. Everything is back together, runs good, no leaks, shifts nice….but I don’t know which way my 520 sprocket goes. I took it out in haste and didn’t notice that the gearing is offset from the center and now I don’t know which side to butt up against the engine. The original Honda sprocket is centered.

My guess is that the writing should go outside but I’m not certain.

Any help would be great

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo310/snkyDelSol/IMG_0235.jpg

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo310/snkyDelSol/IMG_0234.jpg

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo310/snkyDelSol/IMG_0233.jpg

RonnieRev
09-04-2009, 08:53 AM
just have a good look at it and line it up with the chain, also look at which side is marked from the mounting bolts

JohnnyP636
09-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Writing on the outside

SNKYRIDER
09-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Writing on the outside

Are you sure? I don't mean to be a pest I just don't want wear on my output shaft bearing, is that like a rule with sprockets?

JohnnyP636
09-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Are you sure? I don't mean to be a pest I just don't want wear on my output shaft bearing, is that like a rule with sprockets?

Ive had Renthal sprockets before, and that was how they were designed to be mounted...Like most front sprockets the writing goes facing out, as it would be pretty pointless to have it facing the engine where you cant see it...

However you should always check your chain/sprocket alignment after installing anyways..So simply have a look if its all aligned properly...

01cbr
09-04-2009, 12:35 PM
I wasnt going to post since you already got the answer, but it might put you a little more at ease.
The writing goes on the outside.

As a general rule, if there is no directional arrow the writing faces out.

As for checking with chain alignment. I put a rental sprocket on backwards to see the difference in alignment and I couldnt really tell the difference easily.

I have also noticed a difference in size between aftermaket manufactures for the same application. Running it backwards probably wouldnt be that big of a deal......but run it the way its supposed to go just to be safe.

SNKYRIDER
09-04-2009, 01:00 PM
ok so I spent this morning dickin around with this stuff, which is kinda upsetting considering this is the only thing keeping me from riding carefree

I installed the sprocket both ways, drove it both ways

no visible difference in alignment, couldn’t really feel anything either

I have the factory sprockets and comparing those to the renthal it seems that the writing should face out (shorter side against the engine)

The only only only thing that is making me doubt the writing facing out, is that when the writing faces in the chain runs perfectly along the chain guide, when the writing faces out the chain doesn’t run perfectly along the chain guide

It's really frustrating, I wish I took more care and noticed it when I was taking it off, I put my game face on when I started doing important stuff like the engine disassembly and assembly, when I took off the sprocket I was just like "whatever this is one of those things that’s hard to screw up"

RonnieRev
09-04-2009, 01:04 PM
This is way out there but, you could always contact Renthal and ask them.

JohnnyP636
09-04-2009, 01:32 PM
ok so I spent this morning dickin around with this stuff, which is kinda upsetting considering this is the only thing keeping me from riding carefree

I installed the sprocket both ways, drove it both ways

no visible difference in alignment, couldn’t really feel anything either

I have the factory sprockets and comparing those to the renthal it seems that the writing should face out (shorter side against the engine)

The only only only thing that is making me doubt the writing facing out, is that when the writing faces in the chain runs perfectly along the chain guide, when the writing faces out the chain doesn’t run perfectly along the chain guide

It's really frustrating, I wish I took more care and noticed it when I was taking it off, I put my game face on when I started doing important stuff like the engine disassembly and assembly, when I took off the sprocket I was just like "whatever this is one of those things that’s hard to screw up"

Being a 520 its not going to line up with the chain guide anymore....As the rear sprocket is thinner then OEM and moves the centre line of the chain towards the right side very slighlty....Its not uncommon to not line up with the chain guide after a 520 converion

Vlad
09-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Judging by the wear, it was previously mounted with writing facing away from the engine.

01cbr
09-04-2009, 02:24 PM
BTW, if your interested in having a selection of gearing for your bike I have a brand new in package 16 tooth AFAM for your bike that just happens to be sitting on my desk. I have a 15 tooth renthal as well and a 42 tooth rear renthal some where around here.

SNKYRIDER
09-04-2009, 11:37 PM
Thanks guys who posted, right now I left it with the writing out

I'll pm you about the sprockets on ur desk